Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Y U NO HAVE TOP 10 YET?

This short post is directed to the ENDLESS NUMBER OF PEOPLE (no one) demanding to see my Top 10 of 2011 list. I mean, I had my Top 10 of 2010 ready at the beginning of January last year--what's the hold up this time?

I'll tell you what the hold up is: about a jillion movies came out in 2011.

For the first time that I can remember, there's not really a clear sense of what movies/actors are going to win what awards. This time last year, the list of award-winning movies was pretty clear and straightforward. We knew the race for Best Picture was going to be between The Social Network, The King's Speech, and The Fighter. Can I say that for this year? Absolutely not.

I have no idea what's going to be nominated, let alone what's going to win. You might say, "Leah, didn't you watch the Golden Globes?" Well, yeah, but I really don't think that served as an indicator this year. There is no way that THE DESCENDANTS is the best movie of the year--and there is no way that it's going to win Best Picture at the Oscars. You can quote me.

You might also be saying, "Leah, who cares what's going to win awards? It's YOUR top 10 list, just make it already!"--and to that, I respond with: how am I supposed to know what to watch? Generally, I get a sense of what movies are worth watching based on critics' feedback. So many movies were reviewed positively this year, and without a narrower list of well-received movies, I've basically got to watch them all. Which is what I've been trying to do.

There are a number of movies that I feel like I have to see before I can make a top 10 list. Some of these I unfortunately won't have a chance to because I missed their run in theaters and they won't be coming out on DVD until long after the Oscars have aired. MELANCHOLIA, for example. Other movies will either be coming to theaters near me soon (THE ARTIST) or will be coming out on DVD soon (DRIVE, 50/50).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm going to watch the most movies I can before the Oscars and write my top 10 list at that point. Okay? Now will you all stop BUGGING ME!? (no one cares, Leah...)

2 comments:

  1. Cory and I care if it means anything. We were actually just talking the other day about how this time last year we had Leah's awesome Top 10 list and now? NOTHING! So come on Leah, we gotta know.

    (And you should blog more regularly.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS JORDAN! That's so sweet. Even if nobody was reading I'd still post a top 10, but it's nice to know that people care. There's just so many dang movies to watch!

      Delete